Rare Character "Enigmatic Elixir" 6 year Straight Bourbon Whiskey The Prime Barrel Pick #57
Rare Character squarely falls into the "If You Know, You Know" category of whiskey brands. They are purveyors of fine American whiskey focused on unique selections tailored to their customers and partners. Through unique relationships with top distillers nationwide, Rare Character has exclusive access to expressions that have never been released to the public.
We connected with them about a year ago on a couple of potential selections and had a blast blind tasting through their portfolio. One of the partners also runs a whiskey bar in Venice, CA, and had us blindly comparing our selections vs Old Forester Birthday bourbons, Willett ryes, and other well-known expressions. Our selections stood up against anything we tasted that day.
More on this bourbon selection then. This is a 6 years 6 month straight bourbon distilled in Indiana but aged in Kentucky at the stone warehouse at Castle & Key (originally built in 1887) where EHT Taylor barrels used to age. The aging process brought out a lot of spice heavy and complex whiskey beyond just being sweet.
The whiskey has a "honeyed sweetness quality" to it.
- Mashbill: 75% corn / 21% rye / 4% malted barley mash bill
- Aged in a stone warehouse built in 1887
- The most complex 21% rye mashbill we’ve had in a while
- Low tone spice, very dynamic, very "its own" because of its warehouse
- Notes of Apricot pits vs. the flesh - pure pits
- Compare to Old forester 1920 as you drink it